Friday, April 10, 2015

Please, ask me another question.....

One of my favorite autism bloggers, Bill Nason, MS, LLP, (who can be found at Autism Discussion Page) wrote a question and answer on dealing with repetitive questioning.  I KNOW how to deal with that, which is why I do NOT have that problem.  Well, this is why I don’t have that problem anymore.  I need help on another issue.  How do you deal with constant single, unrelated stupid questions?  Yes, I know "There are no stupid questions".  I’m here to admit that yes, yes there are.  Admit it, you want to agree with people and say, “Yes, actually, that IS a stupid question, but since you don’t know the answer, I will tell you.” 

So Sad.
I get these a lot.  Like when I am sitting there with a pain level seven headache for the 12th day straight, and you just got into a fight with one autie and the other autie now wants to give me a pop quiz of really stupid questions about my day like "what did you spend $80 on at the Walmart" (NOT an accusatory "I think you spend too much money, you frivolous, lazy bitch” question.  In reality it very well is probably a "what did you do when I wasn't around to stare at you all day” question because that is honestly how Pitman is, and why I will always argue between high and low functioning).   Or questions like “What is IN dinner?", even though he knows every meal ingredient has been pre-approved or would be disclosed with an alternate meal made available. 

Then there are questions that, even though they aren’t meant to, they could hurt your feelings.  “Did you go out in the rain?”  No, why?  “Oh, your hair is just kind of flat and funky looking.”  This is the way my hair has looked since before you returned home from work 3 hours ago.  “Sorry, I just noticed how weird and flat it was looking today.”  Why, thank you?  Maybe?

My Life.
This morning he left for a weekend trip to learn how to do his 2nd Lieutenant job for the Southwood FireDepartment.  This is a big thing.  He needs to wear slacks all weekend.  If anyone knows Pitman, this is HUGE.  We needed to purchase slacks.  I needed to tease him for weeks over his need to purchase slacks.  It’s a good thing I hoard gift cards for when Pitman needs slacks.  ANYWAYS, he bounds down the stairs with yet another stupid question.  “Hey, I hope its ok, I took my top pillow with me, the one in the striped pillow case”.  (Side note, one day I will do a blog solely on bedroom bedding and why Pitman and young wives need to lighten up).  Outwardly, as the supportive wife I am, I reply “It’s your pillow; I don’t give a crap what you do with it.”  Inwardly, as a supporter of “Yes, there ARE people who ask stupid questions, and Pitman is their KING”, I am screamin, “NO!!!  You may THINK it’s your pillow, but it belongs to the BED!!!  It must stay there at ALL TIMES, or you will suffer the wrath of the angry Bedding Gods!!!!

I love Bill Engvall!
What is funny is that there was an issue about his old boss.  He’d come in and ask her what she felt were stupid questions.  One day, she lost her temper with him and asked him why he came in and every day asked him the same stupid question.  He said “because I’m autistic and it’s important to me to know what I’m doing, so I can plan my day.”  I have to keep reminding myself that no matter how bad my headache is, no matter how much of a teenager Cassie is being, my husband is the same Rob I married.   He has same need to ask the same stupid questions.  He also has the same needs for the answers.  <sigh>  I AM the problem solver.  Heck, before Bill Nason came up with his steps to fixing the repetitive questioning, I was having my favorite student crumpling up the answer he had written down and throwing it at me many times a day!!!  I can do this!!!!  Thank you, blogging world, for giving me an outlet to work this crap out in my mind!!!  Watch out Pitman…. I’m coming for YOU!!!!!!  <Love you, Honey!!!>

As always, I will work for money, but I am not for sale.  Meaning, I'll review anything, and I do love a challenge, so send me ideas and suggestions, but my opinions can't be bought.  I do take Paypal donations anytime at eaglemingoroost@gmail.com.

No comments:

Post a Comment